Thursday 6 March 2014

Why did I start metal detecting?

'To understand the detectorist is to change the detectorist'

- Old Buddhist saying

On holiday one day I saw a man on a beach with a detector. I thought to myself 'oh I fancy that' and here I am 18 months later blogging about it (yeah I haven't been doing it for long, I'm not an 'old guard' as one might say).

On reflection I ask myself 'why did I fancy it?' Were the reasons for starting detecting selfish, were they to 'better to society', were they to record history etc? Does it matter? I don't know.

In order of priority my reasons for starting detecting are as below. The reasons I detect now are I believe different and a subject for a later post. If detecting is a 'lawful' pursuit then are any of the reasons 'better' than others. Maybe. I think so.

So here goes.

1. The chance to find valuable stuff / a hoard - I'm being honest. No reason not to be. There is something deeply enticing, attractive even, about the chance to change your life with the dig of a hole. If not to change your life to find something valuable and yes I will say monetarily valuable. When I saw the man with the detector I wanted to find a gold ring, then one gold ring turned into more. Just like many people play the lottery afterall, it's for that chance. I'm not saying detecting is better than playing the lottery by the way!

2. To find 'old things'. I did ancient history and history 'A' Level. I liked the idea of finding 'old things' valuable or not. Did I have any knowledge about finding 'old things' in an archaeological context. Nope, not unless you count having watched a lot of Indiana Jones.

3. To learn about 'old things' - this rather goes with the point above but I know of people who like finding 'old things' but then bin / store said 'old thing' without actually learning anything about said 'old thing'. I rather liked the idea of learning more about the 'old things' that one might find.

4. To have some me time - It's selfish yes but that's why blokes have sheds isn't it?

5. To meet some like minded people - as well as having some solitary me time I liked the idea of having a 'hobby' where I could meet like minded people.

6. It's pretty cheap for a hobby. I bought a euroace, a pinpointer, a spade and er some wellies. All in about £340 ish I think. Not a bad outlay for hobby that might give me the chance to find my fortune.

So there we go that's why I started.




No comments:

Post a Comment